Hello lovely people, normally it takes me ages to find a fragrance I love. It should be classic, sexy, comfortable but not overpowering. And if I get one, I can shout my lungs out going gaga over it.
Being in Middle East, it’s definitely a shame if you don’t have an oud smelling fragrance. I was looking for one since my landing in Dubai, but always got something which was loud and distracting to others. Just when I was about to stop, I found Versace pour Homme Oud Noir. I absolutely loved using it.
But who knew while I was busy with Versace, a new star was paving its way to my closet, M7 Oud Absolu EDT. It was recommended to me and I bought it (although I was a little apprehensive 😉).
M7 Oud Absolu is an Oriental woody masculine fragrance by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Jacques Cavallier and Alberto Morillas. Also let me point out I am female and I’ve never worn a “male” scent before honestly. But this is not a strictly masculine scent. I think of it as more unisex.
It is a re-formulated version of the original M7 which was released in 2003, which was overwhelmingly smoky oudish. Although, it is completely different from the original, but since the ‘M7’ tag carries forward the nomenclature, comparisons are inevitable. But dont mistake it as a detractor of the original. M7 Oud Absolu is a little more “ambery” and little less “woody” than its predecessor. This fragrance is actually a safe re-think of the original.
So, From my journey of buying it to its actual experience, here is the info I want to share.
About the brand
Yves Saint Laurent YSL (aka Saint Laurent Paris) is a French luxury fashion house founded by Yves Saint Laurent and his partner, Pierre Bergé. Founded in 1961, it has been considered one of the world’s most prominent fashion houses and known for broad range of women’s and men’s ready-to-wear products, leather goods, shoes, and jewellery. Run Independently by L’Oreal, YSL also has a notable presence in the luxury beauty market.
This perfume is housed in a black glass bottle which has a broad base and which is transparent towards the bottom.
It has a big black cap too which fits in properly. The perfume itself is yellowish in color. The outer box is black in color with orange detailing to it. You may find important information on the box.
A resounding disruption for a fragrance of excess, the first to use an oud accord: it merges with myrrh and cistus to create a warm, intense and fascinating trail. Mandarin gives a top opening and delivers singular vibrancy, whereas a very potent patchouli wood facet provides depth and addictive tenacity. Resolutely contemporary, M7 OUD ABSOLU has been enhanced with brilliant mineral freshness, revealing the full richness of expression of the oud accord.
Directions to use
Spray two to three sprays on perfume receptor areas and you are good to go.
- Top note is mandarin orange
- Middle note is patchouli
- Base notes are french labdanum, myrhh and agarwood (oud).
Sillage is about 2 feet (after 2 hours) and is really pleasant.
It lasts long for approximately 6-7 hours
235 aed for 80 ml
To buy it from Amazon India, click here
- The fragrance is woody, earthy but refreshing. The scent is not at all leathery or rubbery.
- It opens to a citrus-sweetish chinotto note which develops into a patchouli/oud middle within the first hour. So anyone looking for a warm opening settling to cool minty patch will love it.
- It is rich,strong and fabulous but not an overpowering scent. It lingers for a very long time. Worn it in the evening, you can still caught a whiff of it next morning.
- Because of its notes, it is perfect for spring and winters. It is sophisticated, refined, calm, collected and exudes certain professional formality. But oud notes come to their true self in warmer climates, perhaps one of the reasons why it is loved in the Middle East.
- Although it is a masculine fragrance, it can be easily termed unisex. It is perfect for women who don’t like typical girly, sweet fragrances.
- It delivers itself for a confident professional, so it may not be liked by strong fragrance addicted boys.
Yay or Nay
It is my signature fragrance. For me it is a more satisfying, pleasant version of the loud original. I fell in love with it at first wear. All in all, a good fragrance for a quiet night out where you want to be distinguishable, but don’t want to stand out.
So here I conclude my article for today.
Until next time