If you are an Indian and you have pimples, then you must have heard this “Safi try kar ke dekh!” It could be from your mom, sister, cousin, best friend, friend, aunt, neighbour, maid (naaa that goes too far!)
But the thing is, Safi is a staple when it comes to pimples on Indian skin and very few people might be unaware of it. So we are actually pushed towards it in our teenage years. But once we’ve used it, one more question is launched “Koi fark pada kya?”
And you start looking at the mirror trying to look at every nook and corner of your face. But do you see any change? Are your pimples gone?
Hence the question is ” Does Safi really help in combatting pimples and acne?”
Let’s try to answer this million dollar question today. But before embarking on that journey, lets check few facts about Safi.
Safi manufactured by Hamdard (Wakf) Laboratories in New Delhi/Ghaziabad, is a UNANI (Greek) medicine, yup! ITS NOT AYURVEDIC. It is made from natural extracts and ingredients (Hence, the confusion!). It is easily available in Indian markets (both over the counter medical stores and on the web).
It claims to cure acne vulgaris, boils, skin rashes, blemishes, urticaria and some other skin issues. Apart from this, it checks nose bleeding, cures constipation, corrects indigestion, improves complexion and helps in staying slim.
Described by its label as a blood purifier and a medicine for skin diseases and digestive problems, SAFI is available as a liquid in a 200ml/500 ml bottle packaged in a lime green box, bearing a black colored name both on the front and back. The liquid itself is thick brown and its better if you don’t ask about the taste, its oddly bitter.
As far as the ingredients are concerned, it contains Sana, Revand Chini, Neem, Chiraita, Rose, Brahmi, Red Sandalwood and Tulsi which are famous for blood purification.
- Ancient blood purifier Neem.
- Tulsi helps in increasing the blood circulation and gives a natural glow.
- Sana to combat stomach issues.
- Brahmi is a skin tonic for anti ageing.
- Chairata is useful for conditioning the skin by making a protective layer on it.
The list of Safi ingredients in hindi /scientific names is given below:
- Smilax china (Chopchini)
- Cassia Angustifolia (Sana)
- Sphaeranthus indicus (Mundi)
- Dalbergia sissoo (shisham)
- Nymphaea lotus (nimpheya kamal)
- Fumaria parviflora (Khetpapra)
- Melia Azadirachta (bakain,neem)
- Bauhinia variegata (kachnar)
- Swertia chirata (chairata)
- Bacopa monnieri (Brahmi)
- Tephrosia purpurea (Sarapunkha)
- Chrozophora plicata (Neel kantha)
- Canscora decussata (shankhpushpi)
- Curcuma Caesia (kali haldi)
- Lavandula stoechas (Lavender)
- Cuscuta reflexa (Amar vel)
- Ipomoea Turpethum (Nisoth)
- Ocimum canum (Tulsi)
- Terminalia Chebula (haritaki)
- Pterocarpus santalinus (Lal Chandan)
- Rosa damascene (gulab)
- Tinospora cordifolia (giloy)
Another thing that we need to understand is that Safi is not a skin or pimple treatment medicine, it is a blood-purifiying supplement. But as common skin problems are caused by blood impurities, so Safi helps in improving digestive system which in turn reflects on the face. So in a nutshell, it does not have a directly proportional relationship with you getting a healthy and glowing skin. Actually, it is a supportive treatment, so it alone may not be enough to prevent acne and pimples.
As far as it’s effects on pimples and acne are concerned, it varies from person to person. It claims to make skin pimple free in 21 days, which is questionable! You need to try this for at least 2-3 months to see any change.
People often complain that Safi increase the breakouts on their face but this is the result of the blood purification process. It detoxifies skin, so there might be an increase in acne and pimples in the beginning.
Now comes a word of caution,
The safety profile of Safi is not well established on scientific parameters through research studies in India.In December 2004, the journal of the American Medical Association reported a study conducted on Ayurvedic Products sold within the Boston, MA area. The study had found that, out of 70 Ayurvedic medicines tested, 14(20%) have enough heavy metals (Mercury, Lead or Arsenic).Then again in the year 2005, Health Canada reported that SAFI was found to contain arsenic level in excess of 40 times the maximum allowable concentration of drugs.
Ayurvedic products often imported from India, are used in the traditional Indian healing paradigm.
According to the principles of Ayurvedic medicine, heavy metals are used in a detoxified state in these products because of their well established therapeutic properties. However, should the detoxification process not be strictly followed during manufacturing, it is possible for the resulting product to contain high levels of heavy metals. Heavy metals pose a particular health risk because they may accumulate in vital organs. Children are most susceptible to the toxic effects of heavy metal poisoning.
Now lets see the dangers of these heavy metals:
- While organic arsenic compounds are less harmful to health,Inorganic arsenic is highly toxic and a human carcinogen. Arsenic poison(arsenicosis) may result in Abdominal pain, Diarrhea, Muscle cramps, Hair loss, Blood in urine, Skin hyper-pigmentation and Cancer. It also affects lungs, kidneys, bladders, liver,bone marrow, cardiovascular system and central nervous system.
- Lead poisoning can affect the kidneys, liver, heart and central nervous system, causing weight loss, insomnia, dizziness, swelling of the brain and paralysis.
- Mercury poisoning can affect the kidneys and central nervous system, causing tremors, insomnia, memory loss, slowed sensory and motor nerve function and reduced mental function.
As Safi only has arsenic and not the other two, its relatively less dangerous. But a look at the above data may lead us to a second thought before buying Safi. Although, presently Safi is buried in contention, But it does have a tainted test history. Nevertheless it’s makers does claim it to be safe and good for body.
As far as the results are concerned, It works if you use it for a long time. It heals you from inside. But you need to have a lot of patience for this. It is always advisable to follow the instructions properly and timely for better results.
And if you are looking for the options where you can remove acne/pimples naturally without any products(NO PRODUCTS AT ALL!) , check out this video
So that’s a wrap today, I’ll see you guys soon!